Happy Left-Handers Day!
3:18 AM |

Being left-handed, somehow makes me know what it's like to be a minority. As a left-hander, I'm discriminated against all the time. An experience of anti-lefty bias in the form of school desks that are unusable, novelty coffee mugs are made for a right handed pick-up, tools like scissors and saws that are dangerous or even life-threatening, pens that smear and make my writing illegible, computer mice that cause hand cramps.

I remember when I was a child, mommy and teacher in primary school tried to force me to write with my right hand. But I can't, I just can't change their so-called bad habit of writing with my left hand. I was born to be a left-hander, probably.

And you know what? Even language discriminates against the left-hander. People are saying something like "Am I in my right mind?", why ain't not something like "Am I in my left mind?". But the truth is, right handed people operate in the left side of the brain while left handed people use the right side. Therefore, only left handed people are in their right mind. What a joke!

Anyway, left-handers certainly earned the right to have a day dedicated to as we are only 10% of the population. And August 13th is that day, the Left-Handers Day. It was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. This event is now celebrated worldwide, and in the U.K. alone there were over 20 regional events including left-v-right sports matches, a left-handed tea party, pubs using left-handed corkscrews where patrons drank and played pub games with the left hand only, and nationwide "Lefty Zones" where left-handers creativity, adaptability and sporting prowess were celebrated.

There is a saying of everyone was born right handed, and only the greatest overcome it. Let's see. There have been many famous left-handed people, and the associated right brain hemisphere that is said to be more active in left-handed people has been found in some circumstances to be associated with genius and is correlated with artistic and visual skill.

From political figures like George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Mahatma Gandhi to scientist or artists like Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. From sport legends like Mike Tyson, Diego Maradona and Pelé to businessmen like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Henry Ford.

So left-hander, be proud of yourself. You might become the next great man like those at above. Anyway, Happy Belated Left-Handers Day!